There are two groups between the ages of 5 and 8 at a time, who share the Big Barn space three times a week for the Open Classroom set up, with occasional use from the children over 8 years of age. The Open Classroom is equipped with ‘stations’ for maths, literacy, reading, art, craft, science, our world, and imaginative play. The children are offered a ‘3-hour work cycle’ in which they are encouraged and guided to choose and complete work that is of an appropriate level. The intentions of the Open Classroom:
- Have a learning environment where children experience a sense of freedom to work according to their own level, interest and pace.
- Provide an opportunity for children to experience the joy of learning through various activities and materials that can inspire them to explore.
- Allow a child to grow with a sense of responsibility for his actions and his learning process by providing an opportunity to choose and plan his own work schedule.
- Work together with children of different age-groups where there is no comparison and where relationships can grow, sometimes through challenges, to be friendly, helpful and constructive.
- Be a place where children can observe and learn about their own difficulties and aptitudes, and are supported in understanding their relationship with various topics, skills, attitudes, behaviours and habits.
- Enable teachers to create materials for individuals and groups of children that are tailored to their learning styles and needs.
- Be a setting for relationships to develop among students and staff.